Akshaya Tritiya is one such momentous occasion, which is considered one of the most auspicious days of the Hindu calendar. It is believed, any meaningful activity started on this day would be fruitful. Akshaya Tritiya falls on the third day of the bright half of Vaisakhi month (April-May). Akshaya Tritiya 2017 date is April 28. Akshaya Tritiya date : April 18,2018 (Wednesday)
Significance of Akshaya Tritiya- As per Hindu astrology and almanac, each second on the Akshaya Tritiya day is auspicious. It is said that there is no need to look for a ‘muhurat’ on the day. Also known as Akti (In Chhattisgarh) and Akha Teej, is a holy day for Hindus and Jains.
It is believed that the sun and the moon are most radiant and best placed on the day. Therefore it is one of the most popular dates in Hindu calendar for marriages, for beginning new ventures, for investing and for purchasing valuables like gold and diamond.
People conduct special Pujas on this day, bathe in holy rivers, and make a charity, offer barley in a sacred fire, and worship Lord Ganesh & Devi Lakshmi on this day. The word "Akshaya" means imperishable or eternal - that which never diminishes.
Legends associated with Akshaya Tritiya-
- Parashuram Jayanti is also observed on Akshaya Tritiya day.
- Sudama or Kuchela visiting Lord Krishna in Dwarka.
- the Pandavas received the Akshaya Pathram (bowl) from Lord Krishna on this day.
- Sage Vyasa began the composition of Mahabharata on the day.
- Lord Vishnu and his incarnations are worshipped on the day.
- The Goddess of food known as Annapurna was born on this day.
- Kubera, known to be a banker in heaven, received all his wealth on the day of Akshaya Tritiya by worshipping the Lord Shiva.
- The sacred river Ganges descended from heaven onto the earth.
What to do on Akshaya Tritiya Day – Prayers and Pujas
The main puja and prayers on the day is dedicated to Lord Vishnu and Goddess Lakshmi. Annadhanam – offering food to the poor is considered to be the greatest thing one can do on this day.
There is a popular belief that whatever one invests in on the day will continue to grow and bring prosperity. People also make donations and give alms on the day. People also visit shrines of Goddess Lakshmi, Vishnu and Lord Krishna. Akshaya Tritiya has become the ‘Hindu gold rush’ day so many people wait for the day to make investments in gold.
Lord Ganesh & Devi Lakshmi pooja
Griha Pravesh Puja